Skip to main content

Featured

How to Sheet Mask

I got out of the habit of using face masks over Winter but now that Spring is in the air and the current situation means that we all have a bit more free time on our hands, I've rebooted the mask obsession! Here are my top tips on using sheet masks... I’ll be the first to admit that when sheet masks first hit the beauty scene I was intimidated yet intrigued. I'd always been familiar with the skincare masks that came in tubs and tubes which you slather all over your face. Afterwards, these often involved a clean up operation of the inevitable mess left behind all over your hands and bathroom, then the annoying process of having to pick it out of your hair after washing it off…totally worth it! The idea of a single-use mask that was easy to apply and remove just didn’t compute. I decided to embrace the trend and let me tell you, I'm now hooked. Who knew beauty masks could be so quick and easy! What is a sheet mask? It’s quite literally a mask in sheet form, wit

Improve Wellness by Taking Time Out Just for You... Away from Spiders (I'll Explain!)

Create a special event every day just for you... A time to truly disconnect and spend time with your own thoughts.

digital detox for wellness

Modern life is a dense web of social networking and connections, so finding time to be totally alone can be difficult. I'm definitely one of the many trapped in the web and this became evident to me when I looked at my morning routine, which goes something a bit like this:

... Wake up to the hideous sound of an alarm blaring out of my phone (ironically!)... Grab said phone, which I currently hate for waking me up, and immediately launch into Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, whichever takes my fancy... Lie cocooned in my duvet for roughly 10 minutes staring blurry eyed at the images on my screen... *Oh look, So-and-so is in Hawaii/Barcelona/At the North Pole! Well I better drag my sorry ass out of bed and go to work*... Faff about with clothes/makeup/hair taming products... Pour a coffee and take 5 minutes to gather my thoughts (other people's thoughts) by taking another peek on Instagram...* Just double checking what So-and-so was wearing at the North Pole! I imagine it's cold*... Reluctantly leave the house and the cat, with a head full of other people's lives instead of focusing on how I could influence my fresh new day...

You get the picture, I'm pretty caught up in the web and I'm sure some of you will be fairly familiar with a routine like this. I'm also hoping that most of you hate spiders, like me, as this web analogy that I'm running with could really work!

I'm not suggesting that we completely free ourselves from the spider's web of social media, I just think we need to add a bit of time for our own thoughts. Creating a special event every day where we allocate some time to ourselves readjusts the balance.

This doesn't necessarily mean shutting yourself in a quiet room staring into space, although this may be ideal for some. Alone time really depends on your personality. I probably wouldn't be able to sit still if I was sat in a quiet room, but reading, writing, making, walking, running, yoga, taking a nap... they all count.

There really is no right or wrong way to hold an alone time event - the key is knowing yourself and what you need to do to be able to concentrate on your own thoughts. Just remember to leave your phone out of arms reach!

How do you disconnect from social media? Please share in the comments below.

K x


Comments

Popular Posts