Skip to main content

Featured

How to Sheet Mask

I got out of the habit of using face masks over Winter but now that Spring is in the air and the current situation means that we all have a bit more free time on our hands, I've rebooted the mask obsession! Here are my top tips on using sheet masks... I’ll be the first to admit that when sheet masks first hit the beauty scene I was intimidated yet intrigued. I'd always been familiar with the skincare masks that came in tubs and tubes which you slather all over your face. Afterwards, these often involved a clean up operation of the inevitable mess left behind all over your hands and bathroom, then the annoying process of having to pick it out of your hair after washing it off…totally worth it! The idea of a single-use mask that was easy to apply and remove just didn’t compute. I decided to embrace the trend and let me tell you, I'm now hooked. Who knew beauty masks could be so quick and easy! What is a sheet mask? It’s quite literally a mask in sheet form, wit

Beat the Stress of Travelling with These Mindful Methods

We're always on the go... travelling to and back from work via the car, bus, train or even plane. Heading off to meetings or far flung locations for a well earned break (I'm dreaming of Barbados right now!).

Whether for work or play, the time spent travelling to our destinations can be fairly stressful or uncomfortable. So, how can we relax and create a haven of calm whilst on the move?


Travel Stress Relief
Photo by Ana Martin on Unsplash

Here are my 5 top tips for a mindful and happy journey.

1. Be Present on your Travels

When do we ever remember a journey for good reasons? I know we can all remember the nightmare trips where something went wrong, but when everything goes smoothly the travelling part is pretty much a non-event. We become so focused on the destination and what might happen when we reach it, that we neglect to notice the here and now. Peer out of the window and pay attention to the World whizzing past.

I know it sounds a bit cliche but remember the saying, "life is a journey". Travel is a beautiful reminder of this as every step you take, every interaction you make, every person you encounter... every single moment has the potential to bring joy. Each second that you spend wrapped up in frustration that your train is late or your queue isn't moving is a moment that you might miss something truly joyful or inspiring. These moments may have the potential to bring you as much happiness as the arrival at your destination.

2. Nourish and Hydrate

There's nothing worse than being "hangry" (hungry/angry, for those wondering) on a long journey and stuck with no rations. The temptation to grab something naughty becomes overpowering and I often reach for the biggest bar of chocolate I can find. Inevitably I end up grumpy and sluggish once the sugar has worn off. Try and take a small pack-up, including: a vitamin rich juice, nuts, seeds and dried or fresh fruit.

3. Tune in to Relax

A good book and a calming playlist are essentials for me. Music has the ability to change my mood instantly and if I want to calm down I listen to my album of the moment - Truth is a Beautiful Thing by London Grammar.

4. Stretch yourself Happy

If you're on a longer journey take a moment to do a few neck stretches and make sure that your posture is correct. Reach up as high as you can and then do some shoulder rolls. Stretch out your legs and draw some circles in the air with your toes..You may get a few funny looks but they'll only be envious ones, thinking, "Why didn't I think of stretching first, now I can't possibly copy her..."

5. Take a Personalized Pamper Kit

Create your own sanctuary of calm with a pampering travel kit. Include a luxurious hand cream, refreshing eye mask and some lavender oil to take with you on a long journey. Take 5 minutes to massage your wrists, palms and fingers with the hand cream, to relax and soothe tension. Use the eye mask and lavender oil to grab some shut eye.

How do you relax whilst travelling? Please share in the comments below.

K x

Mindful Travel

All images are my own unless otherwise stated

Comments

Popular Posts