Skip to main content

Featured

How to Sheet Mask

I got out of the habit of using face masks over Winter but now that Spring is in the air and the current situation means that we all have a bit more free time on our hands, I've rebooted the mask obsession! Here are my top tips on using sheet masks... I’ll be the first to admit that when sheet masks first hit the beauty scene I was intimidated yet intrigued. I'd always been familiar with the skincare masks that came in tubs and tubes which you slather all over your face. Afterwards, these often involved a clean up operation of the inevitable mess left behind all over your hands and bathroom, then the annoying process of having to pick it out of your hair after washing it off…totally worth it! The idea of a single-use mask that was easy to apply and remove just didn’t compute. I decided to embrace the trend and let me tell you, I'm now hooked. Who knew beauty masks could be so quick and easy! What is a sheet mask? It’s quite literally a mask in sheet form, wit

Book Review: The Little Book of Lykke - The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People

The Little Book of Lykke was my book of choice for those whirlwind days between Christmas and New Years; the days where we don't really know what we are supposed to be doing or what day of the week we are on. Anyway, it was an excellent choice of read and has provided me with endless inspiration for a happier and more positive 2018.

As a follow-on from The Little Book of Hygge, Meik Wiking takes us on a global treasure hunt for happiness in The Little Book of Lykke, with a focus on the Scandinavian approach to living happily. After all, the statistics prove that these are the happiest countries in the World and who are we to argue with the CEO of the Happiness Research Institute. I already have an interest in Scandinavian culture, so learning more about the everyday lives of people from these countries made the book even more interesting to me personally.

The Little Book of Lykke Review

The Little Book of Lykke

The text is quite heavy with statistics, however, they are broken down into stylish info-graphics to make them more readable along with case studies from around the World and happiness tips which act as the main points to take away from each chapter. There are also summary pages highlighting what we have learnt from the different countries mentioned in each section.

The book itself is simply beautiful with gold embossing and a rust and blue colour scheme on the cover and it is especially lovely to hold. If I can put it down it will be taking pride of place on my bookshelf.

The Little Book of Lykke by Meik Wiking

There are nine chapters to the book, six of which are introduced as the fundamental foundations of happiness: Togetherness, Money, Health, Freedom, Trust and Kindness. Under each of these categories the author gives advice based on his own international research as to how we can improve our happiness. The book is much more pragmatic than the Little Book of Hygge, for example, the tips are less about curling up under several blankets and more about how to "take a street and turn it into a community" and "start talking about mental health". What was especially interesting to me about the book was why we should be doing these suggested tips and the author takes the time to explain this in detail each time.

Three Tips for The Little Book of Lykke that I am going to action in 2018:

1. Start up a book-lending box in my communal stair well.
2. Visit one spot in my local park periodically throughout the year and be mindful of the seasonal changes.
3. Perform random acts of kindness and celebrate World Kindness Day.

The last pages really outline Meik Wiking's aims for the book: "I need you to be my eyes, to continue the pursuit of happiness. To show the good that does exist in this World and to bring it into the light so that, together, we can help it spread". So with this in mind, be prepared to be challenged by the book and like me, come away with some tips that you want to try out. Make notes in the margins or do further research and let the inspirational writing provide you with ideas not just actions you feel you should do.

Let's start spreading the happiness together today.

K x

Comments

Popular Posts